Monday, December 20, 2010

Pine Cones Project

Another weekend over, another week begins. And a busy one at that.  I can usually tell what kind of weekend it was by how many dishtowels there are to wash.  Yesterday it was 3/4 of my total towels.

I mentioned awhile ago that received a delivery of super special pine cones and had some big plans for them.

I've been seeing glittered pine cones selling from 5.99 and up for a little package! And they aren't as big as these. I refuse to pay money for something I could get for free and jazz up with a little glitter myself.
I spent about $8.00 at the craft store for my supplies using a coupon.
Supplies: Clear Gloss Spray Paint, Tacky Spray Glue, Martha Stewart Gold and White Glitter.  I like the Martha Stewart brand better then others. It's a little finer so it doesn't give you the  "I decorated this in Kindergarten class" glitter look.
 Notice the small red plate.  My original process to get glitter (which is mixed together at this point in the cup) on these was to spray them with glue, place them on the plate and then spoon the glitter mixture over them.  It wasn't covering to well so I ended up just putting the glitter in a resealable plastic bag and shook them around.
I let them dry for a few days and then took them outside to give them a coat of clear spray paint. Brrrrrrrrrr.
I was under a time crunch to get these done in time for my Ornament Party which was the next day . They probably could have used another coat of the Clear, I noticed when I was hanging them that glitter was falling.

I realized I didn't have any ornament holders but there was some green floral wire laying around so I twisted it around the pine cone top, made a loop myself and hung it. Unfortunately the pictures dont do the glitter justice. They came out really pretty. 
I'm going to share a lesson learned for each of my craft projects. Perhaps it's just some common sense I'm lacking but if I can help at least one person who is also lacking in the common sense department, I'm happy. 
Lesson Learned : if you are using Spray Adhesive, use gloves. It takes a very long time to try to get teh stuff off your hands and nails.

And whats a post without my little sidekicks?

On another note, I have now met my goal of 20 followers! Thank you everyone who thinks I'm even the slightest bit interesteing, the people who took the time to type in their email address, and thank you to the people I dont know. I feel honored that you would want to follow me in the first place, especially being that you dont know who I am.
I will be working on putting the giveaway together and will post it soon. Stay tuned.



0 comments:

Post a Comment